Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Temple Experience

Wednesday I was suddenly hit with the thought I should go to the temple on Thursday. I liked the idea and it would work out since Jason had taken the next two days off of work BUT I promised Jason that Thurs was the day we would go through paperwork together. We've been putting this off and since we've decided to put our Illinois home back on the market we really needed to do it. I mentioned going to the temple to Jason and I even texted a friend to see if she'd be interested in going. But I still didn't commit myself to going. The next morning I got the kids off to school and while the thought still persisted I couldn't make up my mind. Finally I gave in and had 30 minutes to get ready before needing to catch the train to NYC.

I was actually excited about the prospect of the day. I knew Heavenly Father had something planned but didn't know what. I made it to the train station and got my ticket. The train was running late so I leaned against the wall and observed the people surrounding me. Immediately a woman caught my eye because she was wearing a BYU backpack. She was with her son. I was tempted to go talk to them but didn't. Instead I just watched. We boarded the train and I tried to maneuver myself near them to see if I could strike up a conversation. But we ended up being two rows apart. When we arrived in NYC they got off the train and kind of just took it all in. I moved with the throngs of people heading inside Penn Station to the subway. I had a little trouble getting my subway ticket because none of the machines were taking credit cards. I finally got it and looked back and saw the woman again heading my way. I stood back and watched and then gave in and went over to talk to them. I told them I saw their BYU backpack and asked them if they needed help. A look of relief washed over the woman's face. She said yes. I asked where they were going and she said to the temple. I told her that's where I was going and I would take them there. It turns out they just moved here a week ago (were Army) and were venturing out without really knowing what they were doing. NY can be intimidating the first time around but once you do it its really not a bit deal.

The woman's name was Jo and she was taking her son to the temple. In just a couple weeks Aaron would be leaving for a mission to Australia. We made it to the temple and enjoyed the session together. Afterwards I took them to my FAVORITE Gyro stand (58th & 8th) and we stood savoring every delicious bite. (The best part is they are only $4-a steal!) Its more enjoyable to eat a Gyro in the summer when you can sit down at Columbus Circle or Central Park. In the winter you just try and find a place to stand out of the wind and cold. After we'd eaten I took them downtown toward Times Square trying to orient them to the layout of NYC and chatting along the way. At Times Square we hopped on the subway and parted ways. They were heading further south to the Ferry while it was time for me to head home. We exchanged numbers in case they needed additional help and said goodbye.

As I sat on the train I berated myself a little for taking so long to act on the whisperings of the Spirit. I could have helped Jo a lot sooner and saved her from the extra stress in NYC. I don't know why I hesitated especially since I was on the lookout for some reason for my trip that day. I'm glad I finally succumbed and it really turned out to be a beautiful day with new friends and the temple. I don't know why Heavenly Father chose me to be the one to help this family to the temple but I was glad He did! I am learning to recognize how the Spirit speaks to me. I'm beginning to think it speaks often and I am not listening or aware. I hope to be better.

No comments: