Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Crossfit

I wasn't going to do it. I had all the right excuses.

-I just recovered from a back injury that kept me from lifting any weight overhead or bending over for 7 weeks. (I had bulging discs)

-I'd been going to a physical therapist 3x a week and just graduated from the no pain zone.

-I wasn't sure I was up for it.

But that is why I did it.

I joined the Crossfit Six Zero team for the Crossfit Open Games 2012. http://games.crossfit.com/

From the beginning that is how I have always felt about Crossfit. Not sure I'm up for it. Not sure I can do it. But then I give it all I have and in the end I realize I can.

For me its just as much about mental toughness as it is strength.
I started Crossfit out of necessity. I was experiencing some anxiety. I wasn't running due to tendonitis and I needed a way to cope, an outlet to my stress. Those first few weeks of Crossfit I'd look up the workout the night before and think, "Ugh!" As I walked over to Brad's garage the next morning there was always a sense of apprehension about what I was about to do and whether I could do it? But what Crossfit has taught me is to chip away at things. Don't look at the Big Number. Divide and Conquer. Okay, so 200 air squats seems ridiculous. Don't think 200, think sets of 10 or 5. Same with challenges in life which can sometimes overwhelm us. Chip away!

And then I'd end up doing something I doubted I could do and I realized I CAN do hard things-In Crossfit and in Life!

In the words of Christopher Robin to Pooh,
"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

No comments: