Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Toes to Bar and Admitting I am Human

When I saw what the CrossFit Games workout was for this week my first thought was I can't do this. The workout was 15 box jumps (which I can do), 12-75 lb. push presses (which I've never done once much less 12 times) and 9 toes to bar (I've never been able to lift my knees about my waist.) So I went in thinking I'm going to use this workout as a time to practice skills I didn't have.

Turns out I could do it. It just took me awhile. With my bad back I really felt the 75 lbs. It was HEAVY! In the beginning I could only do 1-2 at a time. Then I got my form down and it was a little easier but not much. Next came the toes to bar. Brad my instructor had shown us minutes before the games started how to use our legs to swing our legs above our head to touch the bar. I got on the bar and did it. Who knew? It still took me awhile for each toe to bar and I was taking rests in between each one to mentally prepare and to rest my arms.

So this is where the story becomes interesting. As I struggled with the toes to bar there were a couple of times 1 foot would touch and the other would slide right under the bar without touching. My counter Maria said it counted (close enough) and I moved on. I went through the first round and moved to the 2nd. The goal was to see how many rounds you could do in a certain time limit. I made it though 15 more box jumps and 6 push presses and time was up. I was pretty proud of myself.

The I got home and the sinking feeling started. Two times I hadn't touched both feet to the bar. (Why do I remember the number?) I didn't think much about it in the moment. I wish I had-it would have been a lot easier to fix by just doing an additional two before moving on. Instead I now felt the weight of my mistake. I didn't deserve the score I got. The next two days I debated within my head how to fix this.

1. I could redo workout on Saturday. I knew I could get a better score and it would fix the problem. But then my back started giving me issues. A big concern was my half-marathon race the next week. I couldn't afford to reinjure myself otherwise I'd be missing a race I've trained really hard for.

2. No redo. But If I didn't redo I would have to submit a lower score-the one I deserved. I'd also have to explain to my coach why my score I submitted was lower than he had written down. That hit me in the gut. To admit you're wrong is a hard thing to do. Then this story came to mind from Primary, remember? (http://www.lds.org/friend/2001/11/come-listen-to-a-prophets-voice-honesty-a-moral-compass?lang=eng&query=climb+rope)

My other issue that went along with this decision to do a redo was a Stake R.S. function being held all day Saturday. If I did the redo I'd miss the meeting. (our Stake center is an hour away)

I debated this decision over and over in my head. If I did the redo I wouldn't have to admit my mistake, I could submit a better score and all would be right in my world. But I would be risking hurting myself further possibly affecting my race next Saturday and I'd miss out on a well-planned Stake activity.

Heavenly Father let me mull this over but in the end the Spirit taught me two lessons. First, its okay to be wrong-admit it and move on. And second-Do you remember the talk "Good, Better, Best?" I was taught that while the Games was a Good thing going to the R.S. meeting was the Best thing. So I sent my coach an email Saturday admitting what I'd done, submitted my lower score and then attended my R.S. meeting.

It wasn't my first choice but it was the Right choice and the Spirit told me so.

No comments: